145 Neal Blvd., Lawrenceville, GA 30046
The Small Church With a Big Heart

Mount Calvary United Methodist Church

Click here to edit subtitle

About Us

Mission

Our mission is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world by reaching out, listening, accepting, sharing the gospel in word and deed, invitation into the family of faith, and joyfully receiving all who will respond.
Our History

Around 1871, ancestors of the Craigs, Gholstons, Rogers and others organized a religious body that later became Mount Calvary Methodist Episcopal Church.  The church was in a two-room dwelling house on what is now Pike Street .  Mount Calvary was the first Christian church and the first public school established for Black people in Lawrenceville, GA.

There were glorious times in that ancient cabin, furnished with seats made of pine slabs with pegs to elevate them above the floor.  Much rejoicing was done at the opportunity to praise their Redeemer and Deliverer.  Seldom did anyone miss church services.  There was little literature with which to carry on services.  Even so, it was generally opinionated that a pure heart was necessary for worship and a penitent heart for salvation.

In 1957-58 the Urban Renewal came through, and the congregation had to sell and relocate.  With God on our side, we bought the present site (145 Neal Boulevard).  On November 9, 1959, construction on the current building.

Mount Calvary has a history of standing the test of time.  The church has worshiped under a brush arbor, endured a tornado where the building was completely destroyed, survived the exodus of members from Lawrenceville to other sections, north and south.  Thus, we can now see what a sincere quest for God will do for One’s life.  Just as it led the soldiers who have gone before us, so will it lead those who will stand today.

We are eternally grateful to the leadership of the church, both clergy and laity, for having done a masterful job in meeting the challenges of times and to the loyal members who have been their co-workers with God.